iPhone 3.0 Beta 5 – update

So far things are still going good. The part that was a bit rough was that when the restore image is used and the phone reboots…its like having a virgin iPhone again. Luckily you can restore your settings from a backup. But man that takes a while to re-install all of your applications and copy over the gigabytes of data. Not very much fun.

The only issue I had with this process was that Frenzic didn’t seem to want to install the first time. Tonight when I plugged the iPhone in, Frenzic installed and worked as I expected. So I’m not sure what happened last night.

Now, with that being said, I do have one nagging issue that Apple needs to fix. The backup restored my applications, application settings etc. But it didn’t keep track of where I had the applications placed. This is a real annoyance given the restore process. A while ago, someone had done a mockup of an application position manager that could be built into iTunes. That would have been pretty handy last night.

iPhone 3.0 Beta 5

For a while now I have been an officially licensed iPhone developer. I haven’t had all the time in the world that I originally hoped for to develop various applications. But slowly I have been starting to make a little headway on an idea that a buddy of mine had.

I’ve been dragging my feet to make the 3.0 beta upgrade that has been available for developers for the past month or two. Its my work phone and I didn’t want anything goofy to happen which would render it useless to me. Seeing as the full version is probably coming out in a few weeks, I figured that it is time to bite the bullet and move to the new OS.

iphone3.0_beta5

So far, so good. We’ll see what tomorrow brings 😉

Safari / Firefox lockup issues.

This weekend, I finally got around to installing the final iPhone SDK. Everything installed great and I figured that I would get around to playing with it sometime this week. Unfortunately, both my wife and I noticed that Safari would start to lock up more often and Firefox would do the same thing for me.

I of coarse did very little to debug this figuring that it might be bad ram. Well, last night I went to run XCode to start messing around with some new code and I got a rather cryptic error upon launching the system.

10/28/08 12:31:59 AM Xcode[6633] Failed to load specification for platform '<unknown>'. Reason: malformed property list dictionary (required key 'Identifier' not present)
10/28/08 12:31:59 AM Xcode[6633] -[NSConcreteMutableAttributedString initWithString:attributes:] called with nil string argument. This has undefined behavior and will raise an exception in post-Leopard linked apps. This warning is displayed only once.
10/28/08 12:32:00 AM Xcode[6633] ** INTERNAL ERROR: Uncaught Exception **
Exception: *** -[NSCFString replaceCharactersInRange:withString:]: nil argument
Stack:
  0  0x924fb14b __raiseError (in CoreFoundation)
  1  0x95dc7e3b objc_exception_throw (in libobjc.A.dylib)
  2  0x924faf2b +[NSException raise:format:arguments:] (in CoreFoundation)
  3  0x924faf6a +[NSException raise:format:] (in CoreFoundation)
  4  0x965d4e0e mutateError (in Foundation)
  5  0x965119ec -[NSConcreteMutableAttributedString replaceCharactersInRange:withString:] (in Foundation)
  6  0x965117b1 -[NSConcreteMutableAttributedString initWithString:attributes:] (in Foundation)
  7  0x000cd19d -[NSMutableAttributedString(TSFoundationExtra) appendString:attributes:] (in DevToolsSupport)
  8  0x00c97744 -[PBXAssertionHandler handleFailureInMethod:object:fileName:lineNumber:messageFormat:arguments:] (in DevToolsInterface)
  9  0x0078aa84 _XCAssertionFailureHandler (in DevToolsCore)
 10  0x00776c88 -[XCPlatformSpecification initWithPropertyListDictionary:path:inDomain:] (in DevToolsCore)
 11  0x007785bd +[XCPlatformSpecification loadAllPlatforms] (in DevToolsCore)
 12  0x00763d1d XCInitializeCoreIfNeeded (in DevToolsCore)
 13  0x0000330a
 14  0x964e41da _nsnote_callback (in Foundation)
 15  0x92462aba __CFXNotificationPost (in CoreFoundation)
 16  0x92462d93 _CFXNotificationPostNotification (in CoreFoundation)
 17  0x964e1440 -[NSNotificationCenter postNotificationName:object:userInfo:] (in Foundation)
 18  0x964eac88 -[NSNotificationCenter postNotificationName:object:] (in Foundation)
 19  0x903fef8d -[NSApplication finishLaunching] (in AppKit)
 20  0x903fea13 -[NSApplication run] (in AppKit)
 21  0x903cbf14 NSApplicationMain (in AppKit)
 22  0x00002c82
 
10/28/08 12:32:01 AM Xcode[6633] +entityForName: could not locate an NSManagedObjectModel for entity name 'DTExtensionPointDescription'
10/28/08 12:32:01 AM Xcode[6633] An exception was thrown during execution of an NSScriptCommand...
10/28/08 12:32:01 AM Xcode[6633] +entityForName: could not locate an NSManagedObjectModel for entity name 'DTExtensionPointDescription'

Basically, something didn’t install correctly or in a previous SDK, something got mangled that was expected to be there.

I have since uninstalled the SDK and so far, Safari and Firefox have been rocking along. I’m hoping to avoid a rebuild of the machine. But now that I got my 500GB USB drive in and Time Machine backups running, it should be a lot easier to knock out.