Safari / Firefox lockup issues.

This weekend, I finally got around to installing the final iPhone SDK. Everything installed great and I figured that I would get around to playing with it sometime this week. Unfortunately, both my wife and I noticed that Safari would start to lock up more often and Firefox would do the same thing for me.

I of coarse did very little to debug this figuring that it might be bad ram. Well, last night I went to run XCode to start messing around with some new code and I got a rather cryptic error upon launching the system.

10/28/08 12:31:59 AM Xcode[6633] Failed to load specification for platform ''. Reason: malformed property list dictionary (required key 'Identifier' not present)
10/28/08 12:31:59 AM Xcode[6633] -[NSConcreteMutableAttributedString initWithString:attributes:] called with nil string argument. This has undefined behavior and will raise an exception in post-Leopard linked apps. This warning is displayed only once.
10/28/08 12:32:00 AM Xcode[6633] ** INTERNAL ERROR: Uncaught Exception **
Exception: *** -[NSCFString replaceCharactersInRange:withString:]: nil argument
  0  0x924fb14b __raiseError (in CoreFoundation)
  1  0x95dc7e3b objc_exception_throw (in libobjc.A.dylib)
  2  0x924faf2b +[NSException raise:format:arguments:] (in CoreFoundation)
  3  0x924faf6a +[NSException raise:format:] (in CoreFoundation)
  4  0x965d4e0e mutateError (in Foundation)
  5  0x965119ec -[NSConcreteMutableAttributedString replaceCharactersInRange:withString:] (in Foundation)
  6  0x965117b1 -[NSConcreteMutableAttributedString initWithString:attributes:] (in Foundation)
  7  0x000cd19d -[NSMutableAttributedString(TSFoundationExtra) appendString:attributes:] (in DevToolsSupport)
  8  0x00c97744 -[PBXAssertionHandler handleFailureInMethod:object:fileName:lineNumber:messageFormat:arguments:] (in DevToolsInterface)
  9  0x0078aa84 _XCAssertionFailureHandler (in DevToolsCore)
 10  0x00776c88 -[XCPlatformSpecification initWithPropertyListDictionary:path:inDomain:] (in DevToolsCore)
 11  0x007785bd +[XCPlatformSpecification loadAllPlatforms] (in DevToolsCore)
 12  0x00763d1d XCInitializeCoreIfNeeded (in DevToolsCore)
 13  0x0000330a
 14  0x964e41da _nsnote_callback (in Foundation)
 15  0x92462aba __CFXNotificationPost (in CoreFoundation)
 16  0x92462d93 _CFXNotificationPostNotification (in CoreFoundation)
 17  0x964e1440 -[NSNotificationCenter postNotificationName:object:userInfo:] (in Foundation)
 18  0x964eac88 -[NSNotificationCenter postNotificationName:object:] (in Foundation)
 19  0x903fef8d -[NSApplication finishLaunching] (in AppKit)
 20  0x903fea13 -[NSApplication run] (in AppKit)
 21  0x903cbf14 NSApplicationMain (in AppKit)
 22  0x00002c82
10/28/08 12:32:01 AM Xcode[6633] +entityForName: could not locate an NSManagedObjectModel for entity name 'DTExtensionPointDescription'
10/28/08 12:32:01 AM Xcode[6633] An exception was thrown during execution of an NSScriptCommand...
10/28/08 12:32:01 AM Xcode[6633] +entityForName: could not locate an NSManagedObjectModel for entity name 'DTExtensionPointDescription'

Basically, something didn’t install correctly or in a previous SDK, something got mangled that was expected to be there.

I have since uninstalled the SDK and so far, Safari and Firefox have been rocking along. I’m hoping to avoid a rebuild of the machine. But now that I got my 500GB USB drive in and Time Machine backups running, it should be a lot easier to knock out.

Matt Patterson avatar
About Matt Patterson
Husband, Father of 3, Programmer at heart, spends his days running ridiculously large data centers in the midwest.